Friday, June 5, 2009

This is more what I expected

So, the last week and a half has been GREAT. Almost, dare I say.... easy. I have been waiting for the other shoe to drop and it finally did, last night.

Fed the boys at about 10pm, I was set to get up about 1 or 1:30am. I got up around 1:30 to Matt crying. Changed a poopy diaper, gave him a bottle and then this is where he's supposed to go back to sleep. Um, no. Okay, well I have to go get Henry, who's stirring at this point. Change a poopy diaper and give him a bottle aaaand, now I've got two babies who don't want to go back to sleep. The next 3 hours are spent wiping up spit up, changing wet sleepers, and more poopy diapers. Shout out to Bethany, who was texting me at 3:30 am from Ainslie's feeding - at least I don't feel like I'm the only person up at that hour. :-)

So, the thing is that John had 3 meetings today and had to be sharp. I was in it for the long haul, so I dragged the couch cushions to the nursery floor, grabbed a throw blanket and my pillow, and just resigned myself to as long as it takes. (*Note: I would not recommend sleeping on the floor 11 days after a c-section, but necessity is the mother of invention, right?) Finally at about 4:15 am, I got the boys to settle down. I got Henry in his car seat on the floor, and Matt and I on the couch cushions. At 5 am, I got a boppy and put Matt in that, which luckily he didn't resist. John woke us up at 7 am, in awe. He had fought me some during the night about wanting to help, but I wouldn't let him. And listening to him sing this morning over breakfast, I clearly made the right decision. He needed to be in a good mood today! Anyway, I woke the boys, they got bottles, and now they're super snuggly and back to sleep in their car seats on the coffee table. Someone, I'm not going to say who (Henry) keeps passing gas, so I'll look forward to another diaper change soon. :-)

In other news, my mother-in-law leaves today. It's been so nice to have her here this week. She is always volunteering and wanting to change a diaper or feed a baby. What a huge help! Rachel comes today to get initiated and my aunt Mitz will be here on Sunday afternoon to say the week. Now, what happens after she leaves..... I don't want to think about it.

I don't think I've updated on everyone on the breastfeeding front. The short story is that we're on formula. By day 8, my milk was in, but a de minimis amount (shout out to my tax law professor for that $2 word). Definitely not enough to even bother pumping, especially when we're talking about two babies to feed instead of one. I was initially sad and upset, but am focusing on the positives of formula feeding and just going with the flow. No pun intended.

In dog news, Max's allergies are back and in full effect. He's on benadryl, but still scratching pretty bad. I'll have to call my vet and find out which practice she's moving to. Gunner's still on the Prozac, and I think he's finally getting past the anorexia side-effect.

So, that's us. We'll probably be doing more laying around this weekend. I think I'm finally ready for visitors, so if anyone wants to come feed a baby, just let me know. My aunt had this crazy idea for next week - she says we're going to LEAVE THE HOUSE. Thought hadn't even crossed my mind, but now I'm dying to go to Old Navy and get another one of these. Perfect for laying around the house with my pregnant-looking belly all summer. :-) Okay, hope everyone has a great weekend!

6 comments:

jularun7 said...

You are a rock star. That's all there is to it. Can I come over and play with the babies some more? No cameras (or cameras, whichever you wish), I promise!!! :)

Tammy said...

Super mom you are!!!!

Bethany said...

What do the boys have planned for Rachel's hazing?

Shelly Morris said...

Sounds like you are doing great....and such a caring wife too. I don't think I was that kind to Joe.

becky said...

Hmmm... I don't think they're doing enough. You still have time to update your blog. :o)

Denise said...

You're doing great! The thing is, just when you start to feel like you know what you're doing and you have things under control, they change things up on you! They definitely keep you on your toes. I'm sorry to hear about your nursing experience, but nursing is tough in general and then add two at one time? Ack. Go with what works, I say.