Sunday, June 7, 2009

Bunch of good stuff

Lots of good stuff going on!

We had a great visit with my mother-in-law and the boys definitely appreciated all her help. As she was leaving, Rachel came over on Friday afternoon and we got her started feeding babies and changing diapers. I'm so glad we'll be able to have her help more as the summer goes on. Friday night, my dad came over and he also got a lesson in feeding and changing, so we're getting everyone up to speed. Let this be a warning: if you come over, you're likely going to be feeding, changing or holding a baby at some point while you're here... :-)

Saturday was a nice day to relax. We got the house cleaned up and organized, and basically hung out with the boys all day. I had this hair-brained idea for dinner though - couldn't we go to the Mexican place at the mall for dinner? It's literally 5 minutes away and they practically serve your food before you've had your 5th tortilla chip. I figured if we had any major meltdowns, we could either get out quickly or it would be loud enough to ride it out. John was totally on board, so Saturday night we had our first dinner out in WEEKS. (Funny, I think this was the last place we went out before I was essentially house-bound.) Anyway, we fed the boys at 5pm, calmed them down, then realized we had to unswaddle them to put them in their car seats :-), put them in their car seats, re-calmed them down (with promises that they'll be wanting to borrow the car in about 16 years to go to the mall to hang out with girls), and then piled in the car and headed to La Rancherita. They did great in the car and at the restaurant! While we were out, John got a little taste of what I've been going through the last few months when we opened the door to the restaurant and people started staring.... He was carrying two infant car seats - clearly a twins-alert! Most people looked at us as we were getting to our table, so it was attention he isn't used to getting. It was nice to be able to share the spotlight with him, especially since it's something we both hate. But, I guess we'll have to get used to that one. Anyway, dinner was a success! The boys slept the whole time and mommy had her first margarita in 38+ weeks. And it was gooooood.....

The rest of Sunday was great. We hung out at home in the morning, and after lunch I went out to make some returns to Babies R Us and to Target. This was the first time in months I was able to go to Target and walk around on two legs. I didn't need the little motorized cart that I'd been having to use the last 2 months of my pregnancy (oh yes, people, I did and so would you). I had a great time and it felt so good to get out.

Last night, my wonderful boss Laura and her husband stopped by to see the babies - and they brought dinner! Laura made a salad and some shrimp linguine, and it was all absolutely fantastic. We put her and Joe to work feeding babies, too, while we caught up on work gossip. One of the best things that came out of her visit was hearing from her that since there is a hiring freeze, there is absolutely no rush for me to make a decision about returning to work. She essentially said I could wait until week 12, so that was just fantastic news. It was so nice to see her and she was just thrilled to finally meet the boys after having been talking to them in utero for the last 9 months, lol.

Okay, so since I wrote so much in this post, allow me to give you what you really want - a few more pictures of the boys. Enjoy and have a happy Monday!

The gorgeous roses John got me while we were in the hospital


Crashed out (Matthew on left, Henry on right)


Sandra, John and the boys


Matthew (courtesy of John), hittin' up the ladies

6 comments:

Shelly Morris said...

He he! You better get use to the attention. When you have a baby, it's like you are cruising around with a celebrity.

Side note: Leo loves the motorized scooters. When he he sees someone on one, he says, "car, car...vrooom, vrooom!" Luckily, the scooter riders think this is hilarious!

JB said...

I like how it says "woot" on the bottom of his footie pjs in his ladies pic. So excited about paying a visit this week. Things sound really good!

Erin said...

YAY!!! Your first out of the house adventures and they weren't so bad, huh? Let me tell you, I'm already looking forward to my post-pregnancy margarita. :-D I love the last shot - hilarious! See you soon!!!

jularun7 said...

Looks like you're being taken care of Carrie!!! And yay for dinner out! Lovin' that last pic. Hilarious.

Lisa Halbert said...

Learned a crazy thing with Carter when he was freshly hatched ... not sure if this will be applicable to you guys, but figured passing along info can't hurt!

Anytime we took him anywhere noisey, he zonked out. It was like a defense mechinism kicked in and he would sleep like a champ through it in order to deal with it. Not working as well now that he is a little bit older & alert and curious, but going places was super easy early on because of that.

BUT - that doesn't take into account the effort you have to exert to get out of the house ;-)

Glad you guys are doing great!!

Lu said...

i know you say that as a threat that if you come over you'll be changing diapers or feeding babies... but it would so not be a threat to me :-) I wish I was near by, I would be over all the time helping :-D