Baby A: Henry Marcus Geddie, middle name for John's father, John Marcus, was born at 12:19 pm on May 26, 2009. He weighed 6 lbs 1 oz! (on the right above)
Baby B: Matthew Martin Geddie, middle name is my mother's maiden name, was born at 12:20 pm on May 26, 2009. He weighed 6 lbs 12 oz! (on the left)
Of course, things did not go quite according to plan. After getting prepped for the c-section, we found out my platelets were low and that I needed general anesthesia instead of a spinal. This meant that I wouldn't be awake during the c-section and that John wouldn't be allowed in the room during the surgery. Good news was that John was able to watch from a window into the operating room and got to see most of the surgery (well, what he could see through the approximately 20 other people in the room). Surgery had a few challenges for Dr. Welch, but the end result is that I am good and the boys are even better. :-)
John was able to see the boys as they were getting cleaned up and I was able to recover right there in the op area - I didn't have to go to the regular hospital like I would have at Rex. The main downfall with general as opposed to the spinal is that I had to wait for the morphine drip to take effect in order to get any pain relief. Once the general is done, it's done; unlike a spinal, where you get some extra pain relief after surgery until other meds are getting started. Anyway, I got my morphine drip and spent the rest of the day laid up in bed, completely loopy. We had John's mom, two sisters and aunt there, as well as my dad. And after work, Layla and Chrystie stopped by, too. And, er, I think I remember the majority of the day. ;-)
Today has been much better. Whereas yesterday felt like it was all about surgery, today is all about babies! Our beautiful babies!! I was able to get up this morning and use the ladies room on my own, then around lunch we had a good session with the lactation consultant (wow, she was fabulous). They also took away my morphine drip and IV line (yay!), replacing it with Percocet and Motrin. Much better now, as I have pain relief and seem to have my marbles in place - all at the same time. ;-)
So, the boys are just adorable. John and I are definitely able to tell them apart, although we don't always well articulate who we're talking about. Exhibit A, frantically pointing: "John, can you hand me that one over there?" "Which one?" "I dunno, the big one." Exhibit B: "Carrie, which one are you talking about?" "Um, Henry." "Which one, just point." "That one over there. I think." Actually, the way we are telling them apart right now is that Henry has lighter brown hair, and upon first inspection, no eyebrows. But actually, his eyebrows are super light blond. Matthew has black hair, and more of it, and brown eyebrows. And, he's bigger. Henry is just super tiny (!!!) but Matthew has caught on to latching better..... Anyway, as you can see, we're figuring it out. :-)
The bottom line is that they are just SO SWEET. They're just precious. Of course I'm biased, but I don't care! At one point during nursing today, Baby A (see what I mean?) just looked up at me with these big eyes like, "Okay, so you must be mom" and it was just AWESOME. If day two is this great, I can't imagine what the next few days, weeks, months and years hold in store. :-)
Thank you all for your calls, texts and well wishes. Hopefully by the time we get through the weekend we'll be able to start calling everyone back and getting into the groove of things. In the meantime, the day flies by with an endless string of nurses (checking me and the babies, bringing drugs and food, checking up from yesterday), breastfeeding, eating, walking the halls, checking various things, etc... Anyway, hope you enjoy a few other pics from the last couple of days to tide you over til we can talk to all of you. :-)
Grandpa and Dad hangin' with the boys...
Henry
Matthew
The Geddie boys getting trained early....
11 comments:
oh my god, oh my god! they're beautiful! and stupid googlereader didn't tell me you had a new post! i love them already!
p.s. it's still dusty in here ;-)
They are amazing!!! SO CUTE! Craziest part - there is no way to describe how you can love something so much ... and it only continues to get more and more intense :-) CONGRATS!!!
Okay. I just cried, dammit. They are BEE-YOO-TEE-FULL! You and John have done very, VERY good. I don't think I could be happier for the Geddie and Broder clans. I love you all so much!!!!! xoxo Becky
PS - Marv looks like he's in absolute heaven... almost like he was born to do nothing else but be a grandpa. :o)
Carrie!!! They are such beautiful babies and I am so thrilled that you are experiencing all the love that comes from being a mom (it just keeps getting better and better too). Words cannot describe how happy I am for you and John.
On a side note, I tried calling your hospital room to congratulate you more personally. I know you are super busy, but maybe you can email me your cell phone #....take all the time in the world!
What beautiful babies!!!! Congrats Mama!!! and Daddy!! They are absolutely adorable and I'm so glad to hear you are all doing well. Hope to see you soon!!!! CONGRATS!!!
WE ARE SO HAPPY FOR YOU! They are just so beautiful!!!!!
See you soooooooooon. :)
Look at my future son(s)-in-law - our grandbabies are going to be stunning! :-)
Tears to my eyes, they are just beautiful! Congrats to you and John. I'm so happy for you guys.
Congrats, Carrie! They are absolutely gorgeous!!
Welcome to mommyhood x2!
Carrie, They are gorgeous. I am so so so happy for you!! I hope I get to meet them soon. Best to you and John.
Corrie
Post a Comment