Many of the people reading this blog never knew my mom. My mom was awesome. We talked every day. My friends loved her. She was fun, smart, opinionated, and taught me how to cuss. She encouraged me to go to UCLA basketball games and fostered my love of collegiate sports. She loved music and exposed me to oldies, country, and rock. I taught her what "alternative" music was and she loved it. She loved politics and current events, spending hours reading the newspaper. She was a quilter and made me two quilts, for my 14th and 25th birthdays. She made killer spaghetti sauce and potato salad.
Sometimes I think back about the things that have happened since my mom died. To put ten years into perspective, here's a few things she missed:
- dimpled chads
- my law school graduation
- the terrorist attacks of 9/11
- war in Iraq and Afghanistan
- the death of her father
- my move to NC
- passing the bar exam
- meeting John
- the Indian Ocean tsunami
- my dad's move from FL to NC
- buying our house
- hurricane Katrina
- my wedding
- the birth of her niece & nephew
- the economic crash & recession
- our first african-american president
- earthquake in Haiti
- the birth of my babies
So it's been TEN YEARS. It is so much easier now. I don't cry all the time when I think of her, I love talking about her, and I still miss her tremendously. John and I have a wonderful family - my dad, his mom, my aunt, his sisters - and wonderful friends. But I miss my mom. I am not going to lie, I get jealous when I hear people talking about their mom babysitting their kids. My mom never even knew I moved to NC, let alone met John or was there when my babies were born. As a twin herself, I think it would have been really special for her to see me have twins, and for her to have her own relationship with them. She could have made them baby quilts. Babysat with my dad. Been able to stop by and just hang out with us.
So I guess my point is this: if you have a family history of colon cancer, you need to get a colonoscopy. Like, yesterday. I promise that it's not a big deal (I've had two). If you don't have a family history, you need to get tested by age 50. My mom was so stubborn and that just sucks, because colon cancer is so treatable if caught early. So, get tested and give your mom a hug.
Marv & Melinda - January 16, 1972
June 16, 1974
February 1978
Hawaii, 1984
UCLA Graduation - June 16, 1996
Christmas 1999






8 comments:
Okay... the tears I could've done without. :o) I can't believe it's been 10 years already. It feels like it was just yesterday. So much has happened since then... I wish I could've met her. Your mom raised an amazing woman, and I'm so happy to be a part of your life. May you do even half the job with your boys as she did with you. :o)
i second everything that becky said and i probably would've said it first had i not needed to drive home and compose myself before writing you a comment. i love you very much and i'm sure mama broder is enjoying a front row seat of the madness that is your wonderful life now :-)
Beautiful post Carrie.
Love you,
Taylor
Agree with what everyone has said, this was an absolutely beautiful post that left me with tears. Your mom would be very proud of the wonderful and dynamic mom that you have become.
love you.
This is a beautiful post. Thanks for sharing about your mom. She would be incredibly proud of you.
Love you,
Jess
Carrie I know without a doubt I would have absolutely loved your momma ... she was without question an incredible woman to have raised a daughter like you.
It makes me both happy and sad to read this post. Happy because of all the memories I have about her and sad that she is gone. She would have loved everything that you have made of your life: your wonderful husband, your beautiful boys, your new profession...everything!
I remember so many wonderful things about her. She was always encouraging and at times felt like a second mom to me.
Post a Comment