Wednesday, August 4, 2010

Feet

So, we are still not walking here at 14 months.  We are standing, cruising, walking with mom and dad holding our hands, but not walking on our own.  So, shoes are not something I ever really think about.  Realized the other day, however, that when the boys start going to preschool (mother's morning out) after Labor Day,  even if they aren't walking, I cannot send them to school barefoot.  lol  We need shoes!

Layla told me that the best shoe store around closed, so we headed head to Stride Rite and the Crocs store at the mall.  At the Crocs store, Matt fit the small size.  Super cute!  But, the small size was too big on Henry.  I knew already that Matt's feet were a lot bigger than Henry's, so this wasn't a surprise.  Henry cried when I put the Crocs on his feet.  Matt played with the tags and tried to eat the shoes.  We didn't buy anything.

At Stride Rite, we got our feet measured.  Matt's right foot is a size 5.5 and his left foot is an entire size smaller!  The clerk said that half a size between feet is common, but this was a lot.  Henry's feet were 3.5 - a whopping TWO sizes smaller than Matt's!  Walkers need a somewhat sturdy sole on their shoes.  It gives them support as they navigate different terrain.  Pre-walker shoes have super soft and flexible soles, which offer less support for actual walking.  Here's the rub.  Most shoes for walkers start at a size 4.  Too small for Henry!  So, I am not sure where we're going to find something (not hideous) for Henry until his feet have a growth spurt.  I didn't want to buy anything for Matt until I can figure out what I'm doing for both.  Fun day though!

1 comment:

Denise said...

They really only start at 4's? Is that just a Stride Right thing by you? Ours kids both started in size 3's and we haven't had any trouble finding shoes with real soles. I think we've gotten them at Stride Right, but for sure at Payless, Babies 'R Us, and Target. We eventually found Croc-like shoes for them (Nathan's are 3's and Bayla's are 2/3's), but they don't fit into the brand name Crocs yet. Maybe just call around in your area to different places and ask about sizes before you go anywhere. You could check online too.