Thursday, May 26, 2011

Happy 2nd Birthday!!


Dear Henry & Matt,

Today you turn two years old.  For you, it's not a big deal yet.  But for your mama, it definitely is.  I never realized how much birthdays would mean to me, as a mom.  I am so proud of both of you and the little boys you have become.  

It's hard not to think back to two years ago as we went to the hospital and you boys were born.  I'm sure I'll be reflecting on that day every May 26th for the rest of my life.  I think I knew it at the time, but it truly is the best day of my life.

Henry, you are so much fun to hang out with.  You are so happy and often in a good mood.  You really don't let too much get you down, and for a two year old, I'm going to say that's pretty fantastic.  You are a complete joker and future frat boy.  You've recently become obsessed with hats (you were already obsessed with shoes) and you have to have one with you when you go to bed and the moment you wake up.  You walk around taking it on and off, and it often ends up on backward and cocked just like if you were 18.  I can't help but picture you in college when you look like this - it's like a little glimpse into the future.  You are also so, so sweet.  You love to bring Matt whatever I ask and you are always so helpful, although let's not talk about the hair pulling, okay?  You love trucks, the phone, cantaloupe, and are the master of the fork.  Your smile seriously charms everyone you meet.

Matt, you are such a little love bug.  You are full of kisses and hugs, and love to sit on my lap.  You are more sensitive than your brother, and will cry if things go wrong.  You love, love, love books and do a great job at pointing out all the little details in them.  It is so fun to watch you learn and your language develop.  Like your brother, you're really into cars these days.  I can understand, they are really cool.  Your favorite food is grapes & baked ziti, and you can definitely eat!  You are really sweet to your brother, and you will bring him things you think he might need, without my asking.  You love your tooth brush and cannot wait to brush your teeth and watch Yo Gabba Gabba every night before bed.  You love to walk up to Henry from behind, and give him hugs.  I haven't taught you this, you just do it because you want to.  You have this big, bright smile and bright eyes, and it's impossible not to feel that joy when you're happy.

So, boys, today is your birthday.  Like Aunt Layla said, the days are long but the years are short.  I can't believe two years have passed already.  I know there is so much fun on the horizon for us in the next few years.  I can also see the writing on the wall for the challenges coming our way with having two toddlers....  but I think we're ready.

My hope for you boys is that you continue to love each other and grow to be best buds.  I love how different you are from one another and hope that you love that about each other, too.  Appreciate the differences that each of you bring to your relationship and use each other's strengths.  Love each other unconditionally and respect the other person.  And also?  HAVE FUN TOGETHER.

All my love,
Mama

7 comments:

Bethany said...

Made me cry :-) .. Love you and those BOYS!!!

Erin said...

Misty here too! Happy Birthday M&H!!! I can't believe you're TWO already!!!!

Lu said...

so dusty in my office all of a sudden :-D -- damn you mom! Happy Birthday Matt and Henry!

jularun7 said...

happy happy birthday sweet boys. love you!

becky said...

Awwww... so so so sweet. I love you and those boys to death!! Can't wait for the day when I finally get to meet them. :o)

Rachel said...

This almost made me cry! So sweet :)

Little chef-titian said...

Yes....I was definitly tearing up. You are GREAT mom and wife and such an example!