Thursday, November 20, 2008

Our CA trip, Part 2

So where did I leave off.... Okay, so Friday morning, I woke up feeling half decent! Still didn't want to eat, but also pretty much knew I wasn't going to be sick. We finally left the hotel and ended up driving down the coast towards San Clemente. We stopped at the Hobie store and got John a t-shirt, then continued down to lunch at Sonny's Pizza in San Clemente. After lunch, we went to T-street beach and I just slept.... So nice to just lay there and watch the surfers. They were having a heat wave and it was probably 85 degrees on Friday. Fantastic! We went back to the hotel and got ready for the rehearsal dinner, which was that night at Sarducci's at the Depot in San Juan Capistrano.

The rehearsal dinner was great! John finally got to meet Sarah and Justin, and we both got to meet Noah (the groom). Of course, Justin and John hit it off (that was a given) so Sarah and I got to hang out. Amy had to work the room ;-) but I got to talk to Noah some and he's, of course, super nice. It was so nice to see them so happy together and so in love. :-) Also fun was that I got to see Amy's parents! Her mom and step-dad, and her dad and step-mom (who I haven't seen since I was 18 and spent a week with Amy in Kentucky after high school). It was great! I couldn't eat much b/c I was still afraid I was going to be sick, but we had a great time.

On Saturday, John and I ended up in Laguna Beach at Wahoo's Fish Tacos for lunch. Omg, what a gorgeous day! We had an awesome lunch (and finally my appetite was back!) and walked around Laguna for a while. We then went to Becker's for yet another surf t-shirt for John and stopped by the MissionViejo Mall. Oh, sorry, The Shops at Mission Viejo..... My childhood mall has been completely redone and is almost beyond recognition. But don't get me wrong - it's fabulous! I made John eat more food (a classic California tradition: Hot Dog on a Stick) and my wonderful hubby let me go in the Kate Spade store and come out with a new present.... :-) I think he felt so bad about all the puking, he liked seeing me happy. And, it was 25% off. ;-)Anyway, I'm LOVING my new bag!

Saturday night was Amy's wedding. It was in old, downtown San Juan in a gorgeous courtyard filled with white rose bushes. There were lanterns and little lights everywhere and her colors were brown and cream. It was so lovely and Amy looked even more lovely! Her dress was just beautiful. Make sure to check out the pictures. Anyway, we had a great time! We hung out a lot with Justin (as Sarah was busy with matron of honor duties) and then Sarah and Justin later in the night. We ate, drank, and danced the night away. Two special mentions: 1) Amy is the HR manager for Ketel One Vodka and as a wedding present, the kind folks at Ketel One gave her a martini bar... No regular martini bar mind you, but one with two signature cocktails, an ice sculpture and an ice luge! Truly fantastic! and 2) Amy and Noah had a old fashioned photo booth as entertainment/favors. We had a blast getting photos taken inside the photo booth and got to take home a super cute souvenir. What a great idea!

On Sunday, John and I had brunch at the Wind & Sea at Dana Point Harbor. We sat outside and it was another perfect day in sunny southern CA. Really, going home was going to be tough. After brunch, we went to pack up our room at head to Amy's mom's house. She was hosting an afternoon get-together for family and us out of town folk. It was great to spend more time with Amy and Noah, Sarah, Justin and their son Max, and to meet their daughter Caroline. What a cutie!!!

After leaving Amy's, we headed up to Fashion Island to meet the Shearers for dinner. It was SO good to see them and I feel like we just picked up where we left off. Everyone was doing great and it was so nice to catch up, even if it was for just a few hours. After dinner, we followed Pam and Ron to Balboa Island for a frozen banana (omg, yum!) and then headed up to LAX to get ready for our early morning flight on Monday.

Thanks to everyone in CA for a fabulous vacation - we truly did not want to come home! Miss you all already!!! :-)

2 comments:

Shelly Morris said...

I visited the Mission Viejo Mall when I returned to CA last year...crazy! Where was that mall when I was trying to scope out cute adolescent boys? Looks like you had a blast at Amy's wedding. I am glad to see I am not the only one who enjoys a few drinks at a friend's wedding. Hehe!

Unknown said...

It was great seeing you, and finally meeting John. You guys need to come out next year to Northern California during football season. John and I can go to the 49er game and catch his boy Manny Lawson. It was a great weekend, talk to you later.