Saturday, November 12, 2011

OBX weekend & 8K

We came to the beach this weekend to participate in the Outer Banks 8K.  The 8K is part of the OBX Marathon weekend, which includes a full marathon, half marathon, 8K, 5K and fun run.  We signed up for the 8K a few months ago as an incentive to keep up our running and try to stretch ourselves a little bit.  I didn't start running 3 miles on a regular basis until the end of August, and sometime in October I started running 4 miles more often than 3....  and I was able to run 6.4 and 5.2 miles prior to the 8K this weekend.  So, I knew I could do it!

The race started this morning at 8am at the First Flight High School track.  Since this was my first race, I really wasn't sure what to expect, but it was fun.  There was excitement in the air as we all crowded the start line and then they started the race!  The first mile or so was through the neighborhood near the school, but the majority of the race was on Old Nags Head Woods Road.  If you're not familiar, it is a dirt road that winds through the woods - it's very secluded back there and private.  Would be scary at night or if you were by yourself, but we had 1000 people running with us....  :-)  I was able to high-five John when he was on his way back towards the finish line and I was still making my way to the turn-around, so that was fun too.

Official results are not in, but John finished in under 40 minutes (his goal) and I finished in under 60 (my goal), so we were both super happy!  We crossed the finish line, avoided the pirate (he was chasing kids over the finish line, lol), got our medals, ate an egg & cheese biscuit & called it a morning.  Great first race!

First up, a few pictures of weekend fun.




 
Here we go!


Not flattering, but what are ya gonna do? lol
Yay me!

1 comment: