Thursday, August 13, 2009

Thursday (it is Thursday, right?)

It's been a good, but long week. On Monday, the hottest day of the year so far (101 degrees, thank you), our AC broke. It was hot in the house all day, about 80, and I just figured it was SO hot there was no way the AC could keep up. Um, yeah, no. John spent about an hour trying to diagnose the problem when he got home from work and figured out what was wrong. Not that we could fix it, but at least we had an idea! After considering packing everyone up and heading to my dad's to sleep, we ended up sleeping upstairs in the bonus room. Our upstairs AC was working, so ironically it was cooler up there. The repair guy came on Tuesday afternoon and sure enough, John had correctly diagnosed the problem! Good news: we didn't need a new unit (it's 14 years old). Bad news: it was still going to cost us.

Also on Tuesday, I had a dermatology appointment (thank you pregnancy hormones for making my acne even worse!) and then my dad and I went to Target and a baby store to look at fancy-pants strollers. I have been researching them up and down, reading reviews, watching demonstrations on YouTube... There are just not a lot of places to see double strollers here in Raleigh (that I've found). And since with a double you have a few more issues than with a single, it really helps to see them in person. They're big! They're heavy! They barely fold! Anyway, the best news is that the store is about to start carrying one of the brands I am interested in, so at least I'll have a place to check it out and compare. And you never know, we might find something at the consignment sale on Friday!

The boys are as cute as ever. Last Friday, we went out to eat and Henry spent at least 10 minutes taking his Wubbanub and shoving it back in his mouth. So proud! He also started "talking" a lot and both boys (are you ready for this) SLEPT THROUGH THE NIGHT on Friday. It hasn't happened since, but we're optimistic! Woo hoo! This week they are up to their old tricks. Sometimes one takes a good nap, sometimes not. Yesterday, everyone did great until about 4pm when cranky-pants set in. That's the usual pattern these days, but they are 2.5 months old.

My big accomplishment today is that Max finally got a bath. He was starting to scratch again (seriously? I don't know if I can handle yet another trip to the vet...) and I'm hoping a bath with his medicated shampoo will help. Isn't my life exciting? ;-)

Other than that, John and I decided to throw caution to the wind and take a vacation this year. "What?" you say? "You have twin babies! Are you insane??" Yes, we are. And we're desperate to go to the beach. So, we've rented a cottage at the last minute and are going to pack up two cars worth of crap (holy moly babies have a lot of crap!), the babies and the dogs and go sit on our butt - in someone else's house, lolol. But I can't wait! We'll be gone from August 22-29.

Hope everyone has a great week. Wish us luck we find lots of good used stuff at the consignment sale tomorrow! Must run, boys are ready for lunch!

2 comments:

Lu said...

you are my freaking hero, taking a vacation -- WOW!

Also, here's my 2cents on strollers (since my bro's kiddies are 1 yr apart) they went with a Kolcraft Contours Options Tandem Plus Stroller -- and I bought it online, from amazon which shipped it for free, from someother place. They love it and it's not as heavy as they originally thought :-)

jularun7 said...

i love your updates. glad the a/c is back on and glad you are taking a vacay and glad the boys are thinking about behaving themselves through the night ... thinking about it. wahoo. :)