Tuesday, March 6, 2012

Winter Update

I haven't written a real post in quite a while, I apologize.  We've had a good few months overall, with the except of being broken in to (more on that in a bit).

The weather in Raleigh, and probably everywhere, has been unseasonably warm this winter.  It's been fantastic.  We had a dusting of snow one night (we were at the beach and missed it) and it was melted within a few hours.  We had 70 degree temps last week and the boys and I have been hanging out on the driveway after school - it's a taste of summer and I love it.  I forget how much happier I am when the weather is warm and sunny.

Several of our neighbors have had construction projects going on, so the boys have really enjoyed all the construction vehicles and trucks.  It's amazing how well they know all the different kinds - they are definitely teaching me!  Henry is the one mostly in to trucks, but they both do love them.  It is hi-larious when we're in the car and I can listen to them arguing in the back seat.  "No, Matt, it's a mini excavator."  "No Henry, it's an excavator."  Um, boys?  Same thing.... ;-)

Other than trucks, Matt is really into animals in general.  At school we call him the little hoarder, because within about 15 seconds of my dropping him off, he's gone around hording up his favorite plastic animals to carry around their class.  Animals and stickers are Matt's favorite things right now.

We just finished watching the first season of Homeland on Showtime.  I would highly encourage all of you to find a way to start watching.  Talk about quality tv.  And talk about total trash, we're equally in love with Eastbound & Down on HBO.  The boys are obsessing over Toy Story 3 (the "dinosaur" movie) and Cars (the original one).

In early February we came back from a long weekend at the beach to discover our house had been burglarized.  Called the cops, they searched and finger printed, and we started the process of figuring out what was stolen.  It was really freaky to walk in your house and see the interior doors open, jewelry box pilfered through, and realize that some piece of crap human being stole your stuff.  We were so lucky because they didn't ransack the house or really destroy anything at all.  And we are all healthy and fine - it was just things that were taken - so we're trying to keep it all in perspective.

Over the last few weeks we've discovered the things that were stolen.  It's an eclectic mix:  my jewelry (including my mother's wedding ring, an opal ring she wore, a watch I got for my 16th birthday, the silver bangle bracelets that my mom, aunt, cousin and myself all had since 1978, gold hoop earrings I got for high school graduation, my grandfather's mother's ring.... the list goes on), an 8 piece sterling silver place setting given to John's parents from Mama Geddie for their wedding, a camera body, 2 lenses and a flash, the new book written about Steve Jobs off John's nightstand (they took out the bookmark - really?), a pair of John's stinky Merrell barefoot running shoes, the coin jar off the dresser and two Kate Spade purses to carry it all off in......  Suffice it to say, we were lucky.  No computers or tvs were taken.  They didn't ransack the place.  I learned my lesson and immediately backed up all the photos of my kids on my hard drive and hid my remaining jewelry (miraculously they didn't take everything of value) the next time we went out of town.  Right now we're working on an inventory list for the insurance company, but we're not expecting to see any of our stuff ever again.  There was another robbery around the corner that same weekend and the detective assigned to our case stopped by the house the other day - apparently he's working four burglaries together, so maybe they'll end up catching the people.  I can hope.

Other than that, we registered the boys for 5-day a week preschool for next year.  And I'm about to sign them up for 6 weeks of summer camp (9am-1pm) for the summer.  It sounds like a blast - each week has a theme, like bugs, space, summer fun, etc.  I'm sure they'll enjoy it.  I'd like to sign them up for swim lessons, but I still don't know whether one adult can take two three year olds to swim lessons.  I'm afraid it's still not possible, but I'll look into it.

I'm sure there's more to report, but it's time to get pjs on and wind down before bed.  Hope you all are having a great March so far!

No comments: