Wednesday, November 4, 2009

Sleep/nap training

So, last week the whole napping thing started to deteriorate. Up until then, the boys have been GREAT nappers. We're talking 2 hrs in the morning and 1-2 hrs after lunch. I mean, it's been a lifesaver. But last week, as they turned FIVE months old, the napping sorta fell apart. Inconsistent and difficult. I felt it was time to try to get them to nap in their cribs. The sleep books all discuss this stuff, but we've been following Weissbluth. Anyway, we officially started on Sunday and it's been tough. Really tough. The whole idea is that you put them in their crib and let them cry for up to one hour - and you don't go check on them because when you do that, it turns to play time. Anyway, I'm so incredibly lucky that Bethany and Ainslie have been tackling this at the same time (I guess B and I decided to do this together), so it's been great support to be able to text B and get encouragement to keep going. Nothing quite like listening to two of your babies scream bloody murder.... We've had minimal successes - 15, 30 minute naps - but this morning! This morning we had a 65 minute nap from Matt and Henry is still going strong at 75 minutes! This is absolutely fantastic and I hope we can replicate it. You know, to avoid this:

5 comments:

Lisa Halbert said...

NICE WORK!!! Sleep training sucks and is so hard. The first night we let C cry it out, I had to vacuum downstairs cause I couldn't listen to him without having a breakdown. Now he cries for a few minutes, then plays with his pacifier, then falls asleep. Hang in there!!!

jularun7 said...

So glad they slept so well!!! :) YAY! The flashing lights are just killing me. :)

Bethany said...

lololol I like how we make decisions without knowing we're making decisions...

Shelly Morris said...

With the next baby, we will start sleep training earlier. Sleep has been such an obstacle, even at 19 months, so it's good that you are tackling this one early. If Leo was a bit more robust as a baby (he needed all the calories he could get), we would have started earlier with the night time training....good luck!

Lu said...

FANTASTIC commentary as always Mrs. Geddie :-D