Monday, April 14, 2008

G-unit

So, I didn't mention this last week because I thought I was going to get more information, but Gunner tore his ACL. We noticed it before the UCLA game last weekend and I swear he did it surfing down the stairs... Anyway, we took him to the vet on Monday and they had to sedate him to do an x-ray. The x-ray showed a partial or full thickness ACL tear - but they can't tell which without looking at it during surgery. I spoke to the vet today and we both agree that since he's putting weight on his knee, it's probably a partial tear. Anyway, poor guy doesn't realize there are things he can't do anymore (like jump up on the deck, two stairs at a time...) Basically, I wanted to know whether we were bad people if we don't fix it and- the vet said no. She's recently read a study about vitamins and has taken a class on acupuncture, so we're maybe going to do one/both of those and then see how he is. We can do the surgery any time, there is no time frame (which is great). The bottom line is, Gunner is 11 years old and while I'm sure this surgery would be nice for him, I'm not convinced it's crucial to his happiness. I dunno, maybe I'm just being cheap, but putting him through surgery and weeks and weeks of recovery may not be worth it....? Anyway, I'll keep you posted on how he's doing.

1 comment:

becky said...

I didn't even know dogs HAVE ACLs. Ya learn something new every day. But I've got my fingers crossed for him. I know how hard it is caring for a "senior" dog.